01 November 2009

YGI: East Meets West in Uno Morales

My graphic imagination always goes into overdrive around Halloween time. The iconic imagery and spooky symbolism of the holiday seem to provoke creativity while also evoking subconscious fear, which makes me wonder if the two might be more connected than I've thought.
Psychology and Symbols are two subjects I really enjoy studying, and they overlap quite a bit. Writers can only benefit by having a working knowledge of both areas, as even more traditional literary tools like metaphors are essentially built on the stuff of symbols and the psyche. Comic books are replete with both.
You can guarantee I'll have many more blogs on both areas, and if I come across another artist like Uno Morales, you can bet I'll be sharing what I find with you, too.
Morales' work definitely functions on the psychological level for me; he tugs on archetypes as well as pop culture icons and sets them both in a familiar yet macabre milieu. In the images below plus the many others you can find on his website Supernature, horror collides with pop culture's top icons -- Mickey Mouse, Batman, Hello Kitty, even Japanese 'Mechas' -- thanks to some really fantastic line work (reminiscent of MC Escher in spots) and Morales' unique taste in color.
I love the Batman / Charlie Chaplin mash-up Morales' titled Minjon (Minion), and the gangster motif it suggests seems to continue though his Mr Mickey and the Three Little Pigs / Big Bad Wolf imagery of his cover to Sho Magazine #4 (website).
I wish I could tell you more about Uno Morales; his site's in Russian with little translated information. That's okay, his work speaks volumes. And anyway, I'm not writing a script for you to read; I'm presenting pictures... for your graphic imagination.
We think November's off to a brilliant start, don't you?

No comments: