06 November 2009

How To Write A Sequel That Doesn't Actually Suck

Last night's post had a me all atwitter but...wait, do people I still say atwitter if they're not referring to their account, or is it copyright infringement?
You'll remember from my last blog that Jonah Wieland from comics news giant CBR.com had teased his readers with a photo of DC Comics' foyer and the Superman statue hanging there, and promised to reveal today where else one might find the Man of Steel -- presumably also within DC's halls.
But maybe not, either. Jonah's set-up last night was clear and unremarkable, yet I really expected him to deliver something huge today. Comics readers thrive on teasers, cliff-hangers, spoilers, retcons - every kind of anxious a narrative can induce. Plus, we love surprises.
We're also getting used to being played. Which is unfortunate.
Still, I've got to man-up here. Jonah's Live isn't Comic Book Resources' Go-To page for breaking news. Clearly, I over-read and my imagination got the better of me.
Jonah, buddy, there's a lesson for all of us here. I realize your photo offers a seldom-seen peek at a DC Comics conference room corner. But dude: it's even less exciting than Marvel's Siege teasers. You asked your readers to make an investment, to return, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who did. But you failed to make the pay-off, man. No more writing advice from Tim Kring, Mr. Weiland.
With a little ingenuity and a bit of daring-do, you could've become comics newest rock star reporter. How? All I can say is, show me your Clark Kent squatting naked on a DC Comics commode, and I'll show you a Technorati rating so high it could play tennis with Andre Agassi.
Point. Game. Match.
Which would you rather see, dabblers. Jonah's conference-calling Clark or my Nature's calling Clark? Get down to the Back Issues and let me know! And while you're at, leave some comments for Jonah on his blog here. Feign enthusiasm. It's only polite.
Premiering on the Comicsblog 11/13/2009!

No comments: