15 November 2009

Sci-Finest: Battlestar Galactica Vs Star Wars

I'm starting to see a Sci-Fi trend here on the comicsblog, dabblers! What's up with that? Well, it's all right, because if there's one thing I love almost as much as I love comics, it's pancakes -- with three scrambled eggs, bacon, and plenty of real maple syrup. But just after that ( hell, I might only be on the pancake trip because it's breakfast time at ye olde Home Office), I'm all about my science fiction. And by science fiction, I mean Sci-Fi's own holy Trinity: Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Wars.
In that order. [Waiting for someone to throw something at me through my laptop monitor.]
Whew! Thought I was a goner there for a second, dabblers. For those of you who might still be pondering action, let me assure you -- it's a close race. Your favorite comicsblog plays no favorites.
* * * * * * *
What we have been playing the hell out of lately is one of the most frakking awesome viral vids to get passed around the internet in quite a while -- the space battle mash-up Battlestar Galactica vs Star Wars.
I generally exit stage left at the slightest mention of a fan-made flick. Even Robot Chicken annoys the frak out of me. But 'Starmaster 115' and the wizards prove they've got a good grip on Lightwave 3D, the rendering and animation software used for special effects imaging by Ronald Moore's own Battlestar Galactica crew, and on films like The Dark Knight and Iron Man.
BSG vs SW is a fun 1:45 interstellar brawl that pits Colonel Tigh against TIE Fighter in a style that's fit for LucasFilm. Actually, the whole scene's been filmed in Battlestar Galactica 'Classic' and with the software magic making eliminating any need for the out-takes and edits of their competition, this vid works like a well-oiled Jawa.
My tech boys still haven't taught me how to embed a video on the blog much less make my own Sci Fi viral, so I'll have ask you to follow my link to You Tube where you can enjoy their's. You'll have blast - and I'll be having those pancakes.

No comments: